14001 ~ 14100

  1. He fooled them with a false story.
    他编假话愚弄他们。

  2. Everybody bought some just because the goods were cheap; but they turned out to be faulty—they say fools rush in.
    只是因为东西便宜, 每个人都买了一些, 结果发现东西都是坏的——他们说傻瓜总是胆大妄为。

  3. See explanatory notes at the foot of this page.
    参见本页下端的注解。

  4. Who’s going to foot the bill for the damage?
    谁来负责这笔损害赔偿金?

  5. The waiter footed up our bill.
    服务员结算了我们的账单。

  6. The expenses foot up to 50 dollars.
    费用共计50美元。

  7. He heard soft footsteps coming up the stair.
    他听见有人上楼的轻微脚步声。

  8. The servant walked two or three footsteps behind his master.
    仆人走在主人后面, 相隔两三步。

  9. They made a rush for the exit.
    他们猛然冲向出口处。

  10. What can I do for you?
    我能帮你什么忙吗?

  11. Let me lift that heavy box for you.
    让我替你提那只重箱子。

  12. You had to be ready for any emergency.
    你得随时预防不测。

  13. This inspired in them a love for learning.
    这使他们产生了学习的热情。

  14. Fortunately for him, he can swim.
    对他来说幸运的是, 他会游泳。

  15. He speaks too softly for her to hear.
    他讲话声音太轻, 她听不见。

  16. I’m pretty angry with you for not telling me.
    由于你没有告诉我, 我对你很生气。

  17. I followed him for some distance.
    我跟着他走了一段路程。

  18. We can’t accept that as a basis for a decision.
    我们不能同意以此为基础来做出决定。

  19. The ship sent out a message for help.
    船只发出求救信号。

  20. She’s the very person for the work.
    她最适合干这项工作。

  21. Are you for the plan or against it?
    你支持这计划还是反对它呢?

  22. I bought this book for £3.
    我买这本书花了三英镑。

  23. I met them for the second time last week.
    我上周第二次遇见他们。

  24. Prepare to alight, for we are almost there.
    我们马上要到了, 准备下车吧。

  25. The money is to be used for the benefit of the poor.
    这笔钱用来为穷人谋福利。

  26. I wouldn’t go to London for the mere purpose of buying a new tie.
    我不会只为买一条新领带而去伦敦。

  27. I know for a certainty that the company has been bought up.
    我确实知道公司已经被人收购了。

  28. We left the car and walked for a little.
    我们下车走了一小段路。

  29. He might have popped in for a moment, since he was passing this way.
    既然他从这里经过, 说不定他会突然来呆一会儿的。

  30. He found the car going for a song and bought it.
    他发现这辆汽车廉价出售, 就买了下来。

  31. The river was for a space covered with ice.
    这条河有一段时间要结冰。

  32. For a start, let’s agree where we should meet.
    首先让我们商定在哪里碰头。

  33. He was up for a time and then, without warning, despondent again.
    他一度兴高采烈, 但忽然又情绪低落下来。

  34. He is a poor musician for all his training.
    尽管他经过训练, 他还是一个蹩脚的乐师。

  35. I wouldn’t like to be in his position, for all his wealth.
    尽管他很有钱, 我怎么也不愿意处在他那个位置。

  36. For all her faults, Tallulah’s friends tolerated and even adored her.
    尽管塔卢拉有缺点, 她的朋友们却宽容她, 甚至崇拜她。

  37. The sale was supposed to last for a week, but for all practical purposes it’s over.
    减价销售原来预料要持续一周, 然而实际上已经结束了。

  38. He has many faults, but for all that I like him.
    他有许多缺点, 尽管如此, 我仍喜欢他。

  39. I felt for all the world as if I was still a child.
    我感到自己完全还像个小孩。

  40. I felt for all the world like I was still a child.
    我感到自己完全还像个小孩。

  41. In the far future the cities cannot go on developing like that for always.
    在更远的将来, 那些城市将永远得不到继续发展。

  42. It should be done for anything and everything.
    这件事无论如何要做成。

  43. They are neighbours, for better or for worse.
    好歹他们是邻居。

  44. I can tell you for certain that I am always honest.
    我可以肯定地告诉你, 我一向是老实的。

  45. I will take French for choice.
    要选的话我就选法语。

  46. I should take this one for choice.
    要挑我就挑这个。

  47. As the journey was long one, he took a friend with him for company.
    因这次旅行很远, 所以他带了一个朋友和他做伴。

  48. I’ll go with you as far as the station for company.
    我将陪你到车站。

  49. The child is very glad for her company.
    这个孩子很高兴和她做伴。

  50. It rained for days on end during our holiday.
    我们放假期间, 接连数日下雨。

  51. Her whole behavior is calculated for effect.
    她的所有行为都只是为了做样子。

  52. They promised to be faithful to their ideal for ever.
    他们保证永远忠于自己的理想。

  53. I know many women who have a career and a family—Kehr for example.
    我知道有许多妇女能事业家庭兼顾——凯尔就是其中之一。

  54. There are many sources of air pollution; exhaust fumes, for example.
    空气污染有许多来源, 例如废气。

  55. Japan, for example, has two languages.
    譬如说, 日本就有两种语言。

  56. Close the windows for fear of rain.
    关上窗户以防下雨。

  57. He left an hour early for fear of missing his train.
    他提前一小时离开以免误了火车。

  58. We spoke in whispers for fear that we might wake the baby.
    我们轻声说话, 以免吵醒婴儿。

  59. She’s painting for fun.
    她画画是为了好玩。

  60. These diamonds have been handed down in his family for generations.
    这些钻石在他家已经传了好几代。

  61. The theater closed down for good.
    这家剧院永久关闭了。

  62. After I’d weighed the apples, I put in another one for good measure.
    我称过苹果后又另外加上一个。

  63. You cannot rely on her; for instance, she arrived an hour late for an important meeting yesterday.
    她这人靠不住, 例如昨天一个重要会议, 她迟到了一个小时。

  64. I’m saving the sweets you gave me for later.
    我要把你送给我的糖留到以后吃。

  65. In those days, if you were born a peasant, you were a peasant for life.
    那时候, 如果你出生在一个农民家庭中, 你就一辈子是农民。

  66. You couldn’t get a supporter for love or money.
    你怎样也不能找到支持者。

  67. He would not do the work for love or money.
    不管怎样他也不做这工作。

  68. For my part, I don’t care who wins.
    至于我, 谁赢我都不在乎。

  69. We bought these six chairs, and they gave us the other one for nothing.
    我们买了六把椅子, 他们又免费送了我们一把。

  70. I’ve been working on this book for six years, and all for nothing.
    我已经花了六年时间写这部书, 却毫无获。

  71. For one thing there isn’t time, for another we haven’t enough money.
    首先我们没有时间, 其次我们没有足够的钱。

  72. I clung onto the branch for my life.
    我拼命地抓牢树枝。

  73. For pity’s sake, please stop making so much noise.
    求求你, 请不要那么吵闹了。

  74. Let’s do our work for real.
    让我们认真工作吧。

  75. We will see whether the “save our cities”campaign is for real or just window dressing.
    我们要看看这次“拯救我们的城市”运动是认真的还是装装门面。

  76. He says he’s got a new bike, but I don’t know if that’s for real.
    他说他已买了一辆新自行车, 但我不知道是否真有其事。

  77. She has put her house up for sale.
    她的房子现在出售。

  78. I’m sorry—this painting’s not for sale.
    很抱歉, 这幅画是非卖品。

  79. The top secret file was marked “for the manager’s eyes only”.
    在极机密档案上标示有“只供经理亲阅”的字样。

  80. For my money, you were by far the best actor in the play.
    在我看来你显然是该剧中的最佳演员。

  81. For my money, Marian was responsible for the trouble we’d had.
    依我看, 玛丽安对我们遭到的麻烦应负责任。

  82. My name is Alexander, Al for short.
    我叫亚历山大, 简称亚尔。

  83. The boy took the watch given by his grandfather to school for show.
    男孩把他祖父给他的表拿到学校去炫耀。

  84. Some things are of use; others are only for show.
    有的东西有用, 有的只不过是为了作装饰的。

  85. The fighting was over for sure.
    战斗确实结束了。

  86. He doesn’t trust his partner.For that matter I can’t blame him.
    他不信任自己的合伙人, 就那一点来说, 我不能责怪他。

  87. I don’t know, and for that matter, I don’t care.
    我不知道, 对此我也不在乎。

  88. I’m stuck here for the duration.
    这段时间我只能待在这里。

  89. No vacations for the duration.
    战争期间概无假期。

  90. He stole a car for the hell of it.
    他只是为了好玩而偷汽车。

  91. For the life of me, I couldn’t remember her name.
    我怎么也记不起她的名字了。

  92. I have nothing to do for the moment.
    我暂时无事可干。

  93. For the moment we are content to watch and wait.
    目前我们甘心在一旁观察和等待。

  94. Summers in the south of France are for the most part dry and sunny.
    法国南部的夏季大部分时间天气干燥且晴朗。

  95. He plays the piano for pleasure for the present.
    他弹钢琴是为了暂时消遣。

  96. We will not talk about that for the present.
    我们现在不谈这个。

  97. For the record I’d just like to say that I totally disagree with this decision.
    必须郑重声明, 我完全不同意这一决定。

  98. Trust to luck for the rest.
    至于其他, 就凭运气。

  99. This is all I know about it; for the rest, you may ask others.
    对于这件事, 我就知道这些, 至于其他情况, 你可以问别人。

  100. She’s staying with her aunt for the time being.
    她暂时住在她姨妈那里。