5201 ~ 5300

  1. On a cold evening it is pleasant to sit by the fire.
    在寒冷的夜晚坐在炉火旁边很舒服。

  2. Be here by four o’clock.
    四点钟之前到这儿。

  3. She should be back by now.
    她现在应该回来了。

  4. They came in by the back door.
    他们是由后门进来的。

  5. Are you to go there by bike or by bus?
    你骑车还是坐车去?

  6. You can order tickets by telephone.
    你可以用电话订票。

  7. He seized her by the arm.
    他抓住她的手臂。

  8. Man does not live by bread alone.
    人不能单靠面包生存。

  9. They decided to raise the money by subscription.
    他们决定采取募捐的办法来筹集这笔款项。

  10. By temperament he was an artist.
    从气质上看, 他是一位画家。

  11. They always addressed each other by their Christian name.
    他们总是以教名互相称呼。

  12. By God he’s done it!
    老天为证, 他确实做了此事。

  13. I did it all by myself!
    我完全是靠自己做此事的。

  14. The meeting will be held in the school hall, by permission of the headmaster.
    由于有校长的准许, 会议将在学校大厅举行。

  15. The steamer will go west by north.
    这艘轮船将向西偏北方向航行。

  16. They were playing cards by electric light.
    他们正借着灯光打牌。

  17. I go by the house every day.
    我每天都要从这栋房子经过。

  18. We lost the match by one goal.
    我们以一分之差输了比赛。

  19. He stole the money when no one was by.
    他趁旁边无人时把钱偷走了。

  20. He hurried by without speaking to me.
    他匆匆经过, 没有跟我说话。

  21. Excuse me, I can’t get by.
    抱歉, 请让我过去。

  22. I always keep a bottle of wine by in case friends call round.
    我平时总存放一瓶酒以备朋友来时喝。

  23. The bullet missed me by a hair’s s breadth.
    那颗子弹差一点就打中了我。

  24. He escaped death by a hair’s s breadth.
    他差一点送了性命。

  25. We’re not beaten yet, by a long chalk.
    我们还没有输, 只是落后很多。

  26. He passed the examination by a nose.
    他考试差一点儿不及格。

  27. He made this mistake by accident.
    他犯这个错误纯属偶然。

  28. We can now travel by air.
    现在我们可以坐飞机旅行。

  29. I shall send the letter by air.
    我要用航空寄这封信。

  30. They didn’t pass the exam by all accounts.
    据说他们没有通过考试。

  31. By all accounts, he’s an excellent golfer.
    人家都说他是一位十分出色的高尔夫球选手。

  32. “Shall I ask him to come in?”“By all means.”
    “我请他进来好吗?”“当然可以。”

  33. Try by all means to save the dying.
    一定要尽力抢救那个垂危的病人。

  34. They say “thunk” on the analogy of “sunk”.
    他们根据thunk类推而说sunk。

  35. Historically there was no letter “l” in the word “could”; it was inserted by analogy with “would”.
    在历史上, could一词中没有字母l; 那是按照would一词类推而加上去的

  36. Summer vacation will come by and by.
    暑假很快就要来到。

  37. By and large, women can bear pain better than men.
    一般来说, 女人比男人更能忍受痛苦。

  38. Would you by any chance have change for 5 pounds?
    你能给我兑换5英镑的零钱吗?

  39. Do you have by any chance a pen with you?
    你带笔了吗?

  40. If we could by any possibility manage to do it, we would for sure.
    如果我们有办法做那事, 我们一定会做的。

  41. She will only see you by appointment.
    必须事先预定她才会见你。

  42. I met her quite by chance.
    我遇见她完全是偶然的。

  43. I heard their talking by chance.
    我偶然听到他们的谈话。

  44. John helped his father by choice.
    约翰自愿帮他父亲。

  45. I live here by choice.
    我自愿住在这儿。

  46. Shakespeare is, by common consent, the greatest English dramatist.
    莎士比亚被公认是英国最伟大的剧作家。

  47. This dress is really cheaper by comparison.
    比较起来, 这件衣服确实便宜。

  48. She said that dreams go by contraries.
    她说梦与现实正相反。

  49. He has interpreted my statement by contraries.
    他把我的话解释反了。

  50. By contrast, he was much cleverer.
    相比之下, 他要机灵得多。

  51. It seems quite warm today by contrast with yesterday’s icy wind.
    与昨天凛冽的寒风一比, 今天可算相当暖和了。

  52. This picture appears in the exhibition by courtesy of the local government.
    这幅画蒙地方政府的允许在画展上展出。

  53. Signals are made by day with flags and by night with lights.
    信号白天用旗, 夜晚用灯发送。

  54. By degrees their friendship grew into love.
    他们的友谊渐渐发展成为爱情。

  55. Do you think he did this by design?
    你认为他这样做是有意的吗?

  56. The best way to learn is to learn by experience.
    学习的最佳办法就是从经验中学习。

  57. We decided the question by experiment.
    我们通过实验解决了那个问题。

  58. I am going to travel by express.
    我将乘快车旅行。

  59. Send the letter by express.
    用快件把这封信寄出去。

  60. She’s determined to pass the test, by fair means or foul.
    她决心千方百计的通过考试。

  61. This is better by far.
    这个好多了。

  62. That is by far the best choice.
    那是最好的选择。

  63. The radio works by fits and starts.
    这收音机时好时坏。

  64. He took it by force.
    他用武力将它拿走了。

  65. You can’t obtain my consent by force.
    你不能强迫我同意。

  66. Please send me the articles on order by goods.
    请将我所订的货物经铁路运来。

  67. I recommended that wine to him and he bought ten cases of it; he never does anything by halves.
    我向他推荐那种酒, 他买了十箱, 他做事真是从不马虎。

  68. We received a typewritten letter with a note added by hand.
    我们收到一封用打字机打出的信, 附有手写的一张字条。

  69. He brought up the child by hand.
    那孩子是他亲手带大的。

  70. The boy learned the poem by heart.
    这男孩背下了这首诗。

  71. She is fitted to live by herself.
    她宜单独生活。

  72. The little girl wrote the letter all by herself.
    这小女孩不用别人帮忙, 自己写了这封信。

  73. I’ll get her to marry me, by hook or by crook.
    我要想方设法让她同我结婚。

  74. He is by implication requesting me to resign.
    他示意要我辞职。

  75. The machine will start by itself in a few seconds.
    几秒钟后, 机器将自行启动。

  76. I hate feeling fenced in by lack of money.
    我讨厌手头拮据的境遇。

  77. Her French is improving by leaps and bounds.
    她的法语进步非常快。

  78. The water may be carried by means of a pipe.
    水可以用管子输送。

  79. I escaped by means of a secret tunnel.
    我通过一条秘密通道逃跑了。

  80. The girl blushed by miles.
    这个女孩很容易害羞。

  81. Wires bend by miles.
    金属丝容易弯曲。

  82. She put salt into her tea by mistake.
    她误把盐放进茶里去了。

  83. I live by myself.
    我一个人生活。

  84. Tigers are cruel by nature.
    老虎生性残忍。

  85. He likes painting by nature.
    他天生喜欢绘画。

  86. He works in an office by day and drives a taxi by night.
    他白天上班, 晚上开出租车。

  87. I will by no manner of means put up with such insults.
    我绝不会容忍这种侮辱。

  88. This by no means the first time you have been late.
    这绝不是你第一次迟到了。

  89. She is by no means stupid.
    她一点儿也不笨。

  90. By occasion of illness of him, we can’t play tennis.
    因为他有病, 我们不能打网球了。

  91. By her own admission, she was responsible for the accident.
    她自己承认, 事故应该由她负责。

  92. We walked home by ourselves.
    我们独自走回家。

  93. We did it by ourselves.
    这件事我们是独立做的。

  94. I’ll send you the book by post.
    我将把书寄给你。

  95. By request from the readers, we will give more pages to Letters From Readers.
    应读者请求, 我们将为“读者来信”一栏增加更多的篇幅。

  96. The band are playing this song by request of the Queen.
    应女王的要求, 乐队演奏了这首歌曲。

  97. She is British by right of birth.
    她因出生在英国而拥有英国公民权。

  98. You realize that by rights you should not come into this room, don’t you?This is only for people who work here.
    按理说你是不能走进这个房间的, 你知道吗?这是专为此地工作人员使用的。

  99. By rights the property should have gone to him rather than to his sister.
    公正地说, 这财产应该属于他, 而不属于他妹妹。

  100. He does everything by rule.
    他事事循规蹈矩。